Catching the fleeting scenes of many splendored life
'Look closely. The beautiful may be small' — Kant

7 June 2011

Wildflowers of the Dunes.
Treasure Flowers and Cape Daises.

Take a walk through the flowering dunes and in addition to the refreshing sea breeze you'll find a lot of wildflowers to feast your eyes on. Treasure flowers (Gazania rigens) are my favourites — I find their warm colours especially pleasing.

Gazania rigens, var leucolaena flowers
Gazania rigens, var leucolaena flowers.
(© 2011 LightColourShade. All rights reserved)


Gazania rigens, var leucolaena
Gazania rigens, var leucolaena.
(© 2011 LightColourShade. All rights reserved)

I plucked up a few nurslings of treasure flowers (gazania rigens) on the beach and planted them in a flowerpot on the terrace a couple of years ago. This year they almost died off on the beach, but instead bloomed better than usual in pot, producing these lovely orange ochre flowers.

Treasure flowers (Gazania rigens)
Treasure flowers (Gazania rigens)
(© 2011 LightColourShade. All rights reserved)

Clumping gazania (Gazania rigens) flower
Clumping gazania (Gazania rigens) flower
(© 2011 LightColourShade. All rights reserved)

Clumping gazania (Gazania rigens) flower close-up
Clumping gazania (Gazania rigens) flower close-up
(© 2011 LightColourShade. All rights reserved)

A macro shot of a pest-ridden gazania leaf revealed to me a whole unknown world:

Insect pest on gazania leaf
Insect pest on gazania leaf
(© 2011 LightColourShade. All rights reserved)

Cape daisies, native to South Africa like gazania rigens, are among the most beautiful but scarce sand dune flowers. So every time I come across one I see it as a gift.

Cape Daisies (Osteospermum ecklonis)
Cape Daisies (Osteospermum ecklonis)
(© 2011 LightColourShade. All rights reserved)

Cape Daisy (Osteospermum ecklonis)
Cape Daisy (Osteospermum ecklonis)
(© 2011 LightColourShade. All rights reserved)

4 comments:

  1. This was a fascinating post. Though I liked the second picture the best (speaking photographically), in sum they were most interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drachma, I still can't leave comments on your site. You should either enable anonymous and name/URL comments, or change your comments settings to full page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stella, I'm just not certain why you can't leave comments. I've always enabled anonymous comments, and have no filters. I'll check with the Google gods, and see what they say. Thanks for letting me know that you're having trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's kind of weird, these two options aren't available in your comments drop-down menu. I hope they'll fix the bug soon.

    ReplyDelete

Speak out, I'm listening.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...